.
                                                                                          .
                                             .
University was established by Ma Xiang-bo in 1905. "Fudan" found its lexical origin in
the quotation "Heavenly light shines day after day" taken from "Annotations of Yu and
Xia" (Yu Xia Zhuan) of Scholia of The Collection of Archaic Texts (Shang Shu Da
Zhuan).
In 1917, Fudan Public School began to offer undergraduate programs and officially
renamed itself "Fudan University". Li Deng-hui was the president from then on to
1937. After being expanded to a full-fledged university, the University had an
increasing enrollment. It had three schools: Arts, Sciences and Business, a prep
school, and a section of secondary education.













In 1929, Fudan University altered its educational system and opened four new
departments: journalism, civil administration, law, and education. It consisted of
seventeen departments, which comprised the four schools: Arts, Sciences, Law, and
Business.

By 1937 Fudan had established four schools (Arts, Sciences, Law, and Business),
which were made up of sixteen departments, a secondary school, an experimental
secondary school, and two elementary schools for compulsory education. It became
one of the most important institutions of academic research and higher education in
southeast China.

The First Session of the 5th Congress of the Executive Yuan (Coucil) of the Repulic
of China voted on 25th, November, 1941 to nationalize the Chongqiong Community
of Private Fudan University. Wu Nan-xuan was appointed president of the University.

Fudan became one of the national elite universities after the founding of the People's
Republic of China in 1949. At the request of Chen Wang-dao, the first post-liberation
president of Fudan, Chairman Mao Tse-tung of the CPC handwrote the name of the
University. Since the beginning of New China, Fudan has seized three golden
opportunities for further development, thanks to the CPC and the People's
Government.













The first one came in 1952 when colleges and universities all over the country
underwent a thorough readjustment and reshuffling. Fudan lost its departments of
applied disciplines for those of arts and sciences from other ten-plus universities in
East China. This year saw the University's core disciplines greatly enhanced and its
faculty re-energized with new arrivals: it was in this period that eminent professors
like Su Bu-qing, Chen Jian-gong, Tan Jia-zhen and Lu He-fu came to join Fudan.

The first twenty years of the Reform and Opening-up Policy brought the second
grand opportunity to Fudan, whose development received the Central Government's
serious attention during the 7th, 8th and 9th National Construction Plans for the Next
Five Years. The University became more intellectually comprehensive by covering a
wider range of academic disciplines: the humanities, social sciences, natural
sciences, technology, and management. It was to exert a more positive and
profound influence on the world.

The latest is the official merger with Shanghai Medical University on 27th, April, 2000,
from which a brave new Fudan was born. For the first time has the University had its
own college for medical sciences. Better equipped and more robust, Fudan is one
step further today toward its ambitious aim of becoming a leading university in the
world.
History of Fudan

Copyright © 2008  Chinaenglishmedium.com
Fudan University, Fudan University History,Study in China, China MBBS in English Medium, Study Medicine in China
Study MBBS in China in English Medium